Food & Wine Match and Recipe of the Month
Normandy Chicken served with Small Acres Cyder Somerset Still dry cider
by James Kendell
2 tbs Butter
1kg Chicken thigh fillets
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 Red onion, finely chopped
125ml Small Acres Cyder Somerset Still dry cider
125ml Chicken stock
80ml Apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp dried Thyme
1 tbs Plain flour
125g Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil and ½ the butter in a heavy based frying pan.
- Brown the chicken on both sides and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook onion in the pan until soft and toss over the chicken.
- Cook the apple in the pan until lightly golden on both sides and then arrange over the chicken in the casserole dish.
- Place the extra butter and the flour in the pan and lightly cook.
- Add the Somerset Still cider, stock, vinegar and Thyme and bring to the boil, then gently simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sour cream to the sauce and stir through.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Serve with green beans, baby carrots and creamed potatoes.
Cider to match: Small Acres Cyder 2010 Somerset Still dry cider
Cider Tasting Notes
2010 Somerset Still dry cider
Earthy green apple flavours, with a crisp dry finish.
Region: Orange, NSW
Recipe: James Kendall (Cider producer)
web: Small Acres Cyder
Recipe © James Kendell 2011
Wine Diva Recipe of the Month November 2011